McCrohan.net
Home : Content : CustomSearch : Downloads : Feedback : Forums : gallery : Journal : Members List : Private Messages : Recommend Us : Statistics : Submit News : Surveys : Top : Topics : Web Links : Your Account :
  Welcome Anonymous   [Register]
  Visitors: 83 Members: 0 Total: 83   Overall: 675   Latest  ceusebio

World-wide home of McCrohan Genealogy

McCrohan.net: Forums

View topic - Are we really related? a genealogical DNA test should verify : McCrohan.net
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Private Messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Private Messages View next topic
John-Renard
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All,

I had been wanting to get this done for a few year now and I finally treated myself and got it done a few weeks ago. My results are in so if anybody fancies finding out for sure if we are linked then my DNA is on the databases already.

Never one to do things by halves, I opted to do the two tests below and am having great fun.
Interestingly, I've got 290 4th cousins or closer who have already done DNA tests on Ancestry DNA but nobody carries the McCrohan surname i.e. nobody down the male line that is related to me has done the test. I'm really hoping one or two of you on here will be tempted and get the tests done and help link us up. The really cool thing is that it has taken me back two generations further than I had been able to go on my family tree.

Hope you're tempted.

Regards
John

1. Ancestry DNA
2. National Geographic: Geno 2.0 Next Generation Genographic DNA Ancestry
Phyl
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How would I find you on ancestery.com? My husband and I just got our results 2 days ago. It would be him that might show up as a cousin. I think he had 644 matches. His great grandmother was a McCrohan , and we are researching that side of his family. Thank you.
John-Renard
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Phyl

I'm on there: user name is john_mccrohan but I think you will see me as John McCrohan with photograph.

If we are a match I should appear in one of his matches.

Have a look and let me know. My email address is john.mccrohan@gmail.com

Regards

John
Phyl
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks John. I looked, by a search of your last name, and found no match. We are really perplexed by his results. One of his genetic "communities" came up as Munster Irish. Yet he was only 3% in classification of Ireland. We haven't spoken to anyone to ask any questions yet, but would really like an explanation. Any ideas?? Thanks for any help.
John-Renard
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Phyl,
The website gives a really good explanation as to how DNA is passed down. We only get little bits from different ancestors and even different siblings can have very different results; only identical twins have the same results. They advise to get other family members tested to get a fuller picture. I though that this was a bit of a way to make more money but it does make sense now that I have read up on it.
I've also done the National Geographic tests, they have various packages (which will end up costing quite a bit) that are very complex but have amazing potential. The Y dna goes right back the paternal line and the Mitochondrial goes back the maternal line. The further back you want it to go the more it costs.
On Ancestry.com if we go back thousand's of years I'm 97% Irish, 2% West Europe and <1% Finnish/North Russian while going back hundreds of years my DNA says I'm Irish in Kerry. This makes sense as I can go back 5 generations and every single ancestor was from South West Kerry. Your husband is probably getting DNA from much wider locations. The Munster Irish links him to us and with Ancestry.com we are probably not closer than the distant relatives of 5th to 8th cousin. A sibling of his might be carrying more of my DNA and that would link us. Do have a look at the explanation on Ancestry.com it's really good.
Hope this helps
Smile
John
Phyl
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for your insights. We googled and read a whole bunch of stuff on the Munster Irish and the y-dna studies. Most of my husband's Irish side is from his mother. So far, I have only been able to go back 4 generations. In addition to the McCrohans', I am researching the Cliffords, and the O'Neils. Our oldest son also did the Ancestery.com DNA test and is awaiting his results. Wishing you success in finding other relatives.
John-Renard
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great news!

So far, I've got 8 McCrohan matches through my Ancestry DNA proving McCrohan paternity going back 5 generations to early 1800s.

Looking forward to more people testing and helping prove this going back further.

Smile
John
Phyl
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Has anyone contacted you yet? or have you contacted them?
John-Renard
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have contacted them Phyl and they have replied.
Smile
John
Phyl
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That is so neat. Happy to hear !
jerry
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

and
John-Renard wrote:
Great news!

So far, I've got 8 McCrohan matches through my Ancestry DNA proving McCrohan paternity going back 5 generations to early 1800s.

Looking forward to more people testing and helping prove this going back further.

Smile
John

Hi John

I admit my curiosity is piqued. With the benefit of hindsight, how much benefit did you get from using Ancestry DNA and the National Geographic DNA database? Did they corroborate each other's results or did they give very distinct and different insights?

Jerry
jerry
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I found the following article very helpful on the subject John touches upon in relation to y-DNA and mitochondrial DNA research.

https://www.familytreedna.com/understanding-dna.aspx

John, if I've understood correctly, Ancestry.com's y-DNA research will identify matches in their database with other clients who have submitted DNA samples - and this reveals the network of their clients who all come from the same male lineage i.e. the bearer of the name. Their mitochondrial DNA analysis on the other hand will reveal the geographical origins of the female line going back thousands of years. Did I get that right?

Regards
Jerry
View previous topic Private Messages View next topic